You know the routine, Monday morning – new week, new start, new plans – everything is looking rosey but then by Wednesday (a mere two days later), if not before, you’re ready to throw in the towel! That’s me today.
Tuesday I had a lunch meeting I had to attend but the planner waited until the last minute to order lunch so guess what we got – everybody say it together – PIZZA! Not only that it was Jet’s square, thick crust with lots of cheese and meat but they also threw in bread sticks! For me, I did really well, two pieces of pizza and one bread stick, but that meant I had to have a salad and ½ a cup of BBQ Pork to stay within my points while my husband enjoyed a yummy, warm BBQ Pork Sandwich on a bun with cheese and French Fries!
Then this morning we had a mandatory meeting at 7:30 am so the planner brought breakfast and it was Panera Soufflés and muffins. Now I can walk away from the muffins but if you’ve ever had one of their Breakfast Soufflés you know what I’m talking about – warm, soft, tasty goodness that just glides across your tongue (and in my case straight to my spare tire)! Thankfully a co-worker and I knew this was coming so we already had a game-plan to split one but it was really tough not to go back for seconds, thirds or fourths! So that means a large salad for lunch because I’m going out to dinner with a friend I haven’t seen in a while and I want to be able to eat something then.
I simply don’t understand why losing weight is SO difficult! I mean it’s so easy to put it on – and by the way I have discovered that for me it takes me twice as long to lose the lbs. once I put them on so if I’ve gone up a lb. one week it takes me two weeks (usually losing .5 each week) to get it off. That is just not fair!
Then beyond the fact that losing is physically harder – it’s also mentally harder. I mean come on - I have to wake up every morning and have a game plan in place or the day goes to H-E-double toothpicks in a hand-basket real quick. Do I eat a “good” (read tasty, rather large) breakfast and use points there or do I do something “quick” (read somewhat bland and small) so I can eat better and larger the rest of the day. In my case, I also have to take into account my schedule – am I in the office all day, do I have meetings at lunch or going out with someone for lunch, am I traveling, will I be home for dinner or are all the meals “on the road”????? It’s all too much for this 50 year old brain to contemplate most days.
I think that is why I’ve been so challenged for these last few years, and why I hope this attempt works. I have to want this for all the right reasons and I have to be my own biggest motivator. Let’s take for example the shirt I have on today – I love this shirt but even with the ruching (I think that’s how you spell the name of the extra material they gather on each side in an attempt to help hide fat) around the belly you can plainly see my spare tire – and that’s what I need to get rid of. I hate seeing it in my reflection and I know all the medical reports say this is the worst area to carry fat. I know it’s going to take a combination of losing lbs. and toning (exercise) so I’m trying to take baby steps to get this elephant eaten one piece at a time.
Eating wise I have done well this week. A couple of days I was 2-3 points over but I also have been able to walk every evening. Today will be a challenge because of the breakfast then eating out tonight, which also means no walk, and, quite frankly, I just feel like I want to eat everything in sight!
Today is a day to pull out the self-discipline and make it work…. but why is it so hard? (she whines)
No comments:
Post a Comment